Saturday, May 28, 2011

Storms Storms Go Away!

Thank God that we didn't have more damage than we did, but the recent storms did a number on the dog kennels and houses.  We had 2 trees destroyed, 2 baby possums died, and one of my rescue chickens.  :-(  Those last 2 blows are not as easy to move past.  Trees can be cut up, kennels can be replaced, but the 3 precious lives that were lost that night cannot.


Pens and dog house destroyed.  Luckily none of the dogs were injured.









My chicken pen was thrown across the yard.  Diaz was in this pen and was killed.  Chick Chick and Lizzy Borden were fine.



Part of the tree was destroyed in my front yard.  Thank goodness my car wasn't in the driveway.






The dogs in kennels on my front porch because the pens are destroyed.


Icing on the cake.  A volunteer fire fighter that was sent out to report fallen trees on roadways backed into Heath's truck!  I had been running around in water past my ankles trying to round up dogs, save the other animals, and salvage anything I could.  Then I realized that I was doing all of this in lightening and bad wind so I took refuge in the truck to let it calm down a little.  The whole time he was backing up I was honking the horn.  Obviously he didn't hear it!


$1500 worth of damage right there.

The babies that died in this storm has more than broken my heart.  They had made it past some pretty rough experiences and then to be lost when they were so close to release (this isn't a recent pic by the way) is really hard on me.  Some people deal with the death of rehabs easier, but this has been one of the hardest losses I've had.


The most heartbreaking loss was the one eyed little guy.  He was one of the babies killed in the storm.  This guy had been attacked by a dog and came to me with his eye hanging out of the socket.  The eye was removed and he was doing so well.  He was smaller than the others, but ate like a pig and had stolen my heart.  I was so looking forward to seeing him grow and watching him walk into the woods on the day of release knowing that he was a fighter.  Rest in peace sweet boy!  I will never forget you nor your will to survive.  My heart is broken.


I haven't been able to find pictures of my chicken that was lost though I'm sure I have some.  I found her at the "chicken swap" in Russellville.  She didn't have any feathers when I got her and I'm sure someone was eyeballing her for dinner.  I always said she looked like a little old lady with a beehive, because she had some cute little feathers on her head.  Not like a silkie or polish though.  Rest in peace sweet girl.  I miss you and my heart is broken without you here.

If you would like to donate to help wildlife or rescue dogs, please click on the ChipIn link.  It will take you to another page where you can donate using your PayPal account.  Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It looks bad Danielle. You are blessed, however, to still have your house, car and truck (even though damaged). I am so sorry you experienced the loss of the opossums and your chicken - that is so sad.

    ReplyDelete