Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Newest additions

Today the pet store called, because they received a mother opossum with a badly injured leg and she also had a pouch full of babies.  My dear husband took her to the vet and they found that her elbow was destroyed, she had a gash on her elbow, it had turned gangrenous, and the infection had spread to her chest cavity.  Can it even get worse?  Heath and the Dr. Green decided that it would be best to humanely euthanize her.  Not the best day.  I always feel sad when there is loss of life.  I just can't help it.  Even though I know euthanasia was the only real option for this girl, it is tough to decide when another creature will die.  Some people say that you get used to it, but I don't want to ever take a loss of a life lightly.  I can't let it stop me or become so overwhelming that I can't move on, but I just don't want to "get used to" death.  The only thing I could do was focus my attention and energy on the babies.
The good news is that the babies all seem to be healthy and with a little TLC, they should all do fine.

I just think they are so cute at this size, because they look like baby dumbo rats!

Here they are all snuggled up in the transport carrier.  




Look at that sweet face!


Sorry little fellow.  I didn't mean to blind you, but I just have to show the world how cute and sweet you are!


The spots look like blood, but don't be alarmed it's just wet spots from the formula that dripped out.  

I would also like to thank Amber Hopwood for her recent donation.  Thanks to you, I was able to get 2 dogs their rabies shots this week.  I really appreciate your generosity!

4 comments:

  1. They are so cute and so tiny! I'm like you, I can never get used to having a pet die or be put to sleep. I love them all and it hurts when you have to say goodbye to one of them. I'm glad Amber was able to help you :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many do we have now? Too flipping cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm 21, which is more than I can rehab while I'm an apprentice so I'm transferring some to Louise today. I can only have 20 at a time until I get my General Class Permit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I knew how to care for them, but they would be doomed in my care! LOL Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete