Sunday, May 22, 2011

My First Pre-Release Cage Experience

Well it's time for the first bunch of baby opossums to move to their pre-release cage.  As we were moving them, I realized that this would be the last time that I put my hands on them before release.  It's exciting, but I can't help but feel a little sadness because I've cared for them through some pretty tough times in their lives.  The first girl's mom was hit by a car and she was the only survivor.  The 2nd group had been found walking down the road and the 3rd groups mom was killed by a dog and they were all injured in the process.  One lost his eye.  They were all of similar size so they have been housed together, but soon they will all be on their own to live their lives as solitary animals.

Here they are climbing on a large branch and a piece of scrap wood Heath put in their cage.



They sure do love the extra room and freedom to climb.


Still staying close to each other.




This was my first little girl.  She's so big now!


Side view of the pen.


Front view.  It will eventually have 4 cages and be twice as long, but I think this is a good start.

4 comments:

  1. They are so cute! You have such a wonderful place for them to live and play. You have done a great job. You are so lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! My husband worked really hard to get the cage up, then we had someone steal the wire that was going to be used to finish the other side. :-( It will be finished soon enough though and I couldn't be more excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good start indeed! The cage turned out nice! They have lots of climbing opportunities and a den box. Good job you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Louise! They don't really seem to want to use the box, but they do go under it. It used to be used as a duck house, but I scrubbed it up for the possums. I guess that box would be better for adults. I think we will make a couple of smaller boxes for babies and possibly put them up higher in the pen.

    ReplyDelete