Friday, April 8, 2011

Possum rehab-New babies!

So I decided to become a wildlife rehabilitator.  First, I had to find someone who would take me on and be my mentor.  I was fortunate enough to find a wonderful lady name Louise who has had a lot of experience with opossums.  My dads LEAST favorite animal, but I think they are kind of cute!  Well now I think they are the most amazing animal!  Then I find a vet that agrees to work with me and get a signature from the county saying that rehabilitating wildlife in my home isn't against any ordinances.  Now it's time to get to work!
We were driving down Hwy 64 near Alma when I saw an opossum that had been hit.  So I asked my husband to turn around to check its pouch.  To my HORROR the opossum started moving!  Even more to my horror it's jaw was completely destroyed AND it had very small pink babies.  Of course, I wasn't able to contact a vet that night.  Most won't see an opossum.  I guess they are too scary or something!  After an agonizing night of hoping by some miracle it might not be as bad as I thought it would be, we took her to the vet.  Turns out that I was right.  It's pretty bad and it would take several surgeries to correct her broken jaw.  I had to make the sad decision to euthanize her, but first I needed to remove the babies.  The vet sedated her so that I could do it with the least amount of stress possible.  I pulled the first baby, second baby, 3rd...WOW when am I going to quit pulling babies out of her pouch?!  She had 10 in there and they were small.  Even though I knew they probably wouldn't make it, I had to try.
First attempt at tube feeding an 8 gram opossum (see pic below of a baby next to a AA battery)...I got tubes down most.  This continued all day.  The last feeding for the night took 3 hours.  I was famished after not eating all day so decided I would eat and then get back to feeding AGAIN!  When Heath walked into the room to carry them out to me, he discovered ALL of them had died.  WHAT???  In an hour, they all had died.  The heating pad was too hot and I guess they were too small to move away from it.  So my first attempt at rehab was a complete bust!  What a disappointment?  They ALL died and it was ALL my fault!  Yes, at least I tried, but it's always sad to lose a whole litter.
It's 3 weeks later now and I got an email a few hours ago that I will be getting more babies tomorrow!  I'm ready this time!  I won't make the same mistakes and definitely won't let my guard down!  These babies are MUCH larger and much more viable.  I will keep everyone updated and get pics up ASAP!  So keep checking back!  Hope to see you soon!

2 comments:

  1. Nice Blog! I hope it takes off.
    Do you mean "8 gram" babies instead of "8 ounce?" These guys were too little for sucessful rehab. It's nice that you tried but it wasn't your fault they died. It's highly unlikely they would have survived even if you did everything just right - which, you probably did. Pinkys don't have much of a chance, if any. -Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I did mean grams! Thank you for bringing that to my attention! I changed it.

    ReplyDelete