Saturday, April 16, 2011

3 Big Bad Opossums!





I got 3 new baby opossums today.  They weigh right around 72 grams.  Only 10 grams more than the baby I've had for a week, but they look so much more developed than she does.  It's amazing how much they can grow and develop in a week or 2!  I'm sorry if the pictures are a little dark.  Opossums are nocturnal so I try to not to keep it too bright in their room.  


 I wanted to share this picture of the first baby.  This was just a couple of days ago, but I wanted you to be able to see the difference between this girl and the larger ones.

 Here they are chowing down!  At this age, they are eating almost on their own, but will be drinking formula for a while still.


 Though very small and so adorable, they do have their natural instincts.  When I get too close they open their mouths.  Not to bite, but so that they look big, mean and scary!  Are you scared yet?


You may see some lumps.  They are getting wet cat food in their formula to begin weaning them off of the formula, but as I said before it will still be a while before they are completely weaned.


 The one crawling up the shirt is the first one.  Look how much she has grown in just a week!  I spoke with my mentor, Louise, earlier and though we wouldn't normally want to mix litters since this little girl was all alone and they are very close in age, we have decided to put them together.  They adjusted really well and she seems to really enjoy having some company.

Guess what?!  They are all girls!!!  All 4 have tiny little pouches.

1 comment:

  1. They look great! It's so good the little, single girl now has some pals. 4 girls - Wow!

    ReplyDelete