Monday, July 4, 2011

First Release

This is what wildlife rehab is all about!  Releasing the animals back into the wild, but nobody ever said it would be easy.  I've had mixed emotions for a while.  We started off with tiny little baby possums and today we have juveniles that are ready to go into the BIG wild world.

Here was the beginning....









And here they are now...




This one kind of touched me.  It's little tail was hanging on to the side of the crate...




Come on...Let me out already!





First one out to explore.





Since it's been so dry I'm leaving some water close by until they can find a water source.









Already out in the bushes.  Right after this pic, she disappeared.  We could only hear her wandering around.




Good bye little ones!!!  :*)  Tears of joy!  Though it was sad to see them go, there was nothing cooler than watching them step out of the crate into freedom.  Freedom to explore, hunt, climb, procreate, etc.
Thank you to everyone who has supported me and everyone who has followed this journey of my first possum rehabs.  This is not the end of my rehab journey though.  I currently have 14 more possums and 1 box turtle.  This is merely the beginning.  Hang on tight because HERE WE GO!!!

2 comments:

  1. Danielle you did your job well! How hard that must have been to watch them walk away. I cried with you reading this! LOL They are so cute and I know that they will be very happy in their home. So proud of you for caring enough to give them a second chance at life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite picture is the one of the baby with all fours on the cage door. It cracked me up! LOL

    ReplyDelete